Allergies – Your Body Is Talking, Are You Listening?
Over 44% of British adults suffer from at least one allergy
An allergic reaction is your system producing a symptom to alert you but are you listening to your body? The reaction occurs when the immune system overreacts to an otherwise harmless substance. The body’s immune system releases a type of mediator called an IgE immunoglobulin, and different cells in the body then release chemicals, such as histamine, which cause an allergic response. These symptoms most commonly affect the throat, lungs, nose, sinuses, ears, stomach, and skin.
Food Allergies vs Intolerances
A food intolerance is different from a food allergy. Unlike a true allergy, food intolerances are not life-threatening but can cause an unpleasant reaction to food such as lactose and can cause symptoms such as skin rashes, stomach discomfort, and bloating.
14 Food Allergens
These 14 foods have been identified as potential food allergens:
- Gluten containing grains – wheat, rye, barley, oats, spelt, khorasan
- Crustaceans – prawns, crabs, lobster, crayfish
- Nuts – almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, pine nuts, cashews, pecan nuts, Brazil nuts,
pistachio nuts, macadamia nuts
- Celery (including celeriac)
- Sulphur dioxide/sulphites, where added and at a level above 10mg/kg or 10mg/L in the finished product. This can be used as a preservative in dried fruit (i.e. apricots, dates, prunes) and wine
- Lupin – including lupin seeds and flour – can be found in different breads, pastries and pasta
- Molluscs – oysters, squid, mussels, whelks and snails
Help to combat non-food allergies naturally
For dust mites, grass and tree pollen, animal dander, latex and mould we can provide homeopathic desensitisation for these allergens to registered patients.
We also help patient to self-regulate their reaction to medications, insect bites or stings, and air pollution/ toxins.
How Optimal Health Can Help
We recommend starting with an Initial Health Consultation for new patients. We connect via Zoom, listen clearly to your health concerns and priorities, ensure our philosophy meets your needs, and recommend the best starting point for an Optimal Health Treatment Pathway ©